A Giant Sausage Roll

 Giant Sausage Roll


You read that correctly! I love my savoury snacks: pork pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs, etc., so when I was tasked with making a giant sausage roll at work, I immediately jumped to get started!

Due to the coronavirus restrictions, and because England are in a lockdown, the cafe that I work at is still open, but only for takeaway. We're not getting much trade at the moment, so I find that there are many instances where I can spend a good while cooking many soups, stews and cakes that can be frozen. I have a lot of time on my hands when I'm at work.

Yesterday, however my boss informed me that a woman had ordered a giant sausage roll for her son's birthday as he supposedly isn't a big fan of cake (very weird), so the task for me was to create a 'tester' sausage roll so that we can cost it and know how to cook it for the customer's order.

I've made sausage rolls at work before, so I had a good idea of how I'd make this one. This is so simple, so I don't know if it needs a full written recipe, but I'll write down a simple version:

You'll need:
  • 16 Sausages
  • 2 sheets ready-made puff pastry
  • 1 Egg
Method:
  1. Preheat an oven to 180C fan and crease and line a large enough baking tray with some baking parchment.
  2. Squeeze 16 sausages (whatever sausages you fancy but I used Lincolnshire sausages) out of their skin and into a mixing bowl. Here, you can add whatever flavours you like, but I simply added salt, pepper & Worcestershire sauce. Mix with your hands into a bit ball.
  3. Roll out a sheet of ready-made puff pasty, and place your sausage mix into the middle of the pasty, then form it into a long line down the middle (leaving space at the end and sides). Egg wash the sides around the sausage mix.
  4. Cover with the other sheet of pasty and make sure it's stuck onto the egg wash. Trim the edges to make it neat and score some lines into the top to let steam escape. Place onto the baking tray and put it into the oven for 30 minutes until golden.

It's so simple. I just made it on the spot because I knew how long the pastry would need in the oven and the sausage mix would need at least 25 minutes. Make sure you use a temperature probe in the sausage mix once it's out of the oven to make sure that it's cooked (sausages should be at least 65C).

and After!

Before ... 





















This turned out really well, and I'm so happy with it. My boss was so happy too and decided we should make it into a regular special once we reopen! You should definitely try to make this.

It's so crispy and tastes incredible!




Comments

Post a Comment